Cupcakes,Cupcakes,Cupcakes...

I've been baking and decorating cakes and cupcakes since my son was born 18 years ago and now I'm doing the same for my 6 year old and others. I love eating and baking desserts, but my favourite thing to do is create a little piece of art on an edible canvas. Like all mums my days are always busy running around for everyone else so when I get some 'me' time I relax by either baking or making sugarpaste decorations for cakes and cupcakes. For those other mums out there who love everything CAKE I'll post some recipes,ideas and photos of decorations that can be handmade at home...sorry if I don't post every day it's sometimes hard to escape into solitary!!!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Frou Frou Cupcakes

These are some sample 'frou frou' cupcakes I made yesterday to take to Australia Day BBQ.
We have an order 30th January for Wedding at the Yacht Club, Point Piper, so I did a trial run as I'd never made them before. They are a little fiddly to decorate but if you follow the instructions below it shouldn't be as messy. Recipe below.
Frou Frou Recipe
( 16 standard sized raspberry coconut cupcakes)
125 g butter,softened
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup plain flour
1/4 cup self-raising flour
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
1/3 sour cream
150 g frozen raspberry
Cream Cheese Frosting
60 g butter,softened
160g cream cheese,softened
2 teaspoons coconut essence
3 cups icing sugar
Decorations
1 cup flaked 0r desiccated coconut, toasted (McKenzie Brand)
15 fresh raspberries or 1 strawberry fanned
Method
1. Preheat oven tp (180C/160 C fan forced).
2. Line 12 standard cupcake pan with paper cases.
3. beat butter,sugar and eggs in small bowl until light and fluffy.
4.Stir in with wooden spoon sifted flours,coconut,cream and frozen raspberries.
5. Divide mixture among cases and smooth surface with back of spoon.
6. Bake for 30-40 minutes until slightly coloured on top.
7. Turn cakes onto wire rack to cool.
8. Make cream cheese frosting
Cream Cheese Frosting
Beat butter, cream cheese and essence in a small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
Gradually add and neat sifted icing sugar.
Decorating
1. Toast coconut in shallow baking tray slightly golden
2.Remove cases from cupcakes
3. Ice sides of cakes with spatula or butter knife
4.Roll sides of cakes on coconut in the tray until all covered, holding bottom and top of cake.
5. Place cake on 'doily' or small napkin that is sitting on bottom of glass
6. ice top of cake by placing a small blob of icing in the middle and spread outwards with a spatula
7. Decorate top with either raspberries or fanned strawberry
8.Refrigerate for 30 minutes so that the cream cheese sets a little.

No comments: